Pages

Friday 1 February 2013

Movie Review: Edward Scissorhands


It's an old movie... yeah. :D

This is the story of, a man with scissors for a hand. - Razor sharp scissors.

There are a few things that had leave a big impact towards me. One of them is the conversation between Edward and Mrs. Peg Bogs when they just met and she was asking about him. 

Peg Bogs: Where is your father?
Edward: He didn't wake up. 

I almost choke on my tears on that one. It just shows how innocent Edward is despite his dangerous looks and how he have scissor for a hand. 

Not only the quotes in this movie are interesting, it also contain many interesting characters that we hope we want to be one day. 

Take Peg Bogs for instance, she is a very kind lady, the impression of a woman who can accept the flaws of others and see the good within a person. The woman who is patient and will accept everyone as they are. Thinking about the story gives me a weird fuzzy feeling in my heart, especially when I remember Edward's puppy-dog look that really can capture the hearts of women especially. :) 

Edward's puppy dog look.
Seeing his pleading eyes and face filled with scars, I just can't help but feel like I must protect this innocent being. I feel like hugging him and telling him that everything is going to be alright. 

Much like any other Tim Burton movies, Edward Scissorhands really will leave you thinking even after the movie ends. 

To me, the significant thing that the author want to highlight in this movie is the importance of hands. 
That the hands that we possess may be use for both good and bad things.

This is an irony to the movie, because in this movie, Edward, our main character does not have normal hands like us, but is replaced with scissors, a tool that is destructive and prevented him from doing lots of every day things which can be seen in the movie. However, he turned the facts that he have scissors for a hand and instead of using it for a bad thing, he uses it for good things, which are the things that he is created for. We can also see how destructive his hands is to himself and towards the people that he loves inside the story. 

Jim, the antagonist of the story, on the other hand is perfect, physically. He is Kim's (the girl that Edward loves) boyfriend, and initially shows how he can use his hands to show Kim he loves her by holding her and hugging her without hurting her. Which brings me to another quote in the movie that I love so much, where Edward is considered a criminal and Kim is waiting for him to come home.

Kim: Hug me.
Edward: I can't.... :'( 

He is scared of hurting Kim... :'(
I love the way how Edward who is not a perfect person can show his love very well without having to touch Kim in any way. It is just shown from the way he looks at her and the way he wanted to protect her and the family who came to adopt him. (btw, Kim is Peg Bogs' daughter)

The hands are important and powerful to a human or anything. It connects a person to another and helps the person to show their love. However, it is not that necessary for Edward in his case for we as the audience are able to understand Edward's innocence and love towards the people around him without him using his hands to show his love. 

And one other significant thing that I can get from this movie is that, when you love someone sincerely, even without the privilege of touching the person, you will be able to leave the deepest impression in the heart of the person you love. Again, this is shown through Edward and Kim, when even after years of not meeting each other, Kim still remembers Edward enough to tell her grandaughter their story, and I know that Edward must be feeling the same towards Kim too.

I love this movie.

My movie rating towards this movie is: 4.5/5

Quite high you know. 

I recommend this movie. 

Till next sharing. 



This is the OST of the movie... Enjoy~! :D

Love Johnny Depp so much! :D 


No comments:

Post a Comment